Gum rosin and gum turpentine are obtained through the processing of pine resin (crude gum), a nonwood forest product (NWFP). Different pine species, natural and planted, are tapped around the world for the production of pine resin and its processing into gum rosin and gum turpentine.
With limited forest resources and manual labor, improving the efficiency of forestry management and pine tapping techniques to produce pine resin is the key issue for the future of these pine chemical products. To fulfill this mission our committee should work in the following specific areas:
- Educate PCA members and the public about the available technology in pine tapping and resin processing operations.
- Develop a better understanding of the biological process, known as oleoresinosis, through which the pine tree produces pine resin.
- Record physical and chemical characteristics of pine resins from different pine species used commercially to produce pine resin.
- Identify and understand the pine tapping techniques applied around the world for the production of pine resin.
- Locate forest resources and manual labor available globally for the production of pine resin.
- Evaluate the physical and chemical characteristics of gum rosin and gum turpentine obtained from pine resin from different origins.
- Develop a carbon footprint for gum rosin and gum turpentine to emphasize the “green” chemistry of pine chemicals.
• Map pine tapping operations around the world at a regional level.
• Reinstate the Gum Rosin Committee afternoon meeting during the 2014 PCA International Conference Seattle.
• Invite new presenters for the "Gum Rosin Focus" meeting at the 2014 PCA International Conference Seattle.
Alex Cunningham – AR Eldorado ME (Chairman)
Chairman: Alejandro Cunningham ~ AR Eldorado LTDA
Fredo Arias-King – T&R Chemicals Inc.
Li Feng Song – Forestar Chemical Co. Ltd.
Alessandro Visconti – Petrofer AG
Dominique Mayaux – D R T
John Smith – Rosin Plus Consulting
Conrado Casagrande Neves – Resineves Agroflorestal Ltda.
Paulo Roberto Azevedo – Ambar Florestal Ltda.