The PCA has many ongoing programs and new projects that are bringing value to our industry. A few of our propitious programs are:
- Conducting Soap, CST and CTO Recovery courses for paper mill engineers and operators to assure continuous supply of CTO. This training helps in the sustainability of our key raw materials.
- Conducting a Pine Oleoresin and Extraction Symposium for those involved with pine forestry management, tapping and extraction to provide educational tools and best practices. This knowledge helps to improve productivity and support the sustainability of pine forests and oleoresin.
- Developing import and export statistics for all pine chemical products for all major consumer or producing countries around the world. These statistics are updated semi-annually.
- Rewriting and updating the Naval Stores Book and other PCA publications that serve as references for engineers, chemists and many others in our industry
- Providing a robust and very active regulatory committee that monitors legislative and regulatory actions in the US, EU and many other countries and then takes action as needed.
- Report on safety incidents, “lessons learned” and develop best practices for process safety based on inputs from our member companies.
- Develop and Maintain the ASTM and ISO testing standards for all pine chemicals.
- Maintaining a very active Advocacy effort to educate our customers, legislators and regulators on the pine chemicals industry and its long standing processing of renewable chemicals.
- Developing a roadmap for all our member companies to participate in the USDA “bio preferred labeling” program
- Our 2 primary conferences each year provide excellent networking opportunities, as well as updates on current issues impacting our industry.
- Developing import and export statistics for all pine chemical products for all major consumer or producing countries around the world. Statistics are updated semi-annually.
- Imports and exports, to and from 45 countries, including the USA, are documented. The data provided is for the last 6 years (2009 to 2014), with both historic volume and price listed. All the information is derived from government tariff data. The reports are only available to those PCA memberships with statistics access. The report(s) includes data on the following categories
Tall Oil, whether or not refined
Gum, Wood or Sulfate Turpentine Oils
Other Terpenic Oils
Other Rosin (includes Tall Oil Rosin)
Salts of Rosin
Other Rosin Derivatives
Tall Oil Fatty Acid containing less than 2% Rosin
Tall Oil Fatty Acid, other